Monday, September 30, 2013

Great New Team, Terrible First Race.

As I write this blog post, I'm faced with two complete opposite fortunes. A great opportunity and amazing chance, and a disappointment that is a non-essential hiccup. I'll begin with the positive, something for which I am very excited for.

I'm very pleased to announce that for this cyclocross season I am racing for Boo Bicycles/TrainingPeaks! A wonderful opportunity from a great, local company. The pride that I have to line up in the Boo Bicycles kit is enormous. I'm very thankful for this opportunity and would like to thank everyone involved. Thanks goes out to my Mom and Dad, Jason Trujillo, my coach Andy Clark, and most of all, Nick Frey for the chance to race on wonderful bikes! I will be doing most of the races that the Boo Bus will be at (come by and say hi!), the next race being Colorado Cross Classic in two weekends from now. Check out Boo Bicycles at www.boobicycles.com. Man, those are some gorgeous bikes!

Along with a great thing comes a negative. Sunday was my first cyclocross race of the season, and the first time I would be representing Boo Bicycles, I was excited to say the least! I lined up for the first time all season, resplendent in the Boo kit. I got a start position in the very last row of CAT 3's, (which I was racing to get my CAT 2 upgrade), due to a last minute registration. I went from last row to 3rd wheel within a minute of racing, and was feeling comfortable until I ran into a problem. I was running clinchers, due to the fact that I didn't have any tubulars glued up at the time, and when I took a corner too hard the bead of the tire popped out of the rim. I was the furthest point away from the pit and as I watched the race disappear, I couldn't help but be a little angry.

I let all the air of the tire so I could put it back on the rim, and then I had to run all the way to the pit to get it pumped up. I had lost nearly 4 and a half minutes at that point, and when the race was turning out 5:45 laps, I was near to being lapped. Eventually the leaders caught me and I hung on to their wheels for what would have been 3rd if the tire debacle wouldn't have happened. It wasn't a huge race, or an important one, but I wanted to make a great entrance to my cyclocross season, which didn't happen. In the long run it's not an issue, but having the bitter taste of a bad first race will chase me until I can redeem myself. In hindsight, my expectations we're very high for a first cross race against people that have already been racing cross, and now I have something to build for until the next race to erase that "@1 lap" in the books.

The season has started in a crazy way but once it's rolling and moving forward, I'm looking to being at the front of the field for the season. Look for me and the Boo Bus at Colorado Cross Classic on October 12th. Make sure you "BOO!" me as I, and my other Boo Teammates, Skyler Trujillo and Rotem Ishay race past! Big thanks to everyone at Boo Bicycles and TrainingPeaks, as well as Braaap Nutrition and Challenge Tires for their support! I'm looking forward to the next race where I can truly begin my cross season on the right foot!



Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment